After realising that sample 1 was not progressing as quickly as I would have wanted, I decided to start working on sample 2. For this sample I have chosen the word ‘rural’ as my inspiration. I have made an storyboard on Pinterest. The URL is http://pinterest.com/mcollaris/storyboard-for-sample-2-of-stage-4-developing-desi/
On this storyboard I have collected images which I find inspiring and remind me of the word ‘rural’. Most of the images that I have selected contain a lot of green and yellow. The energy expressed through most of the pictures is calm. They create a relaxing atmosphere. After selecting images for my storyboard I felt really inspired, but I realised that I had to choose one of two elements instead of trying to translate all elements that inspired me into a tapestry. The colours yellow and green were a recurring theme in the images which I had selected. On a recent trip to Koblenz in Germany, I have seen a lot of fields that looked liked giant blankets and it looked really pretty. So I decided to combine this with the colours I had already selected.
I began making a selection of the materials which I wanted to use. I wanted to incorporate some natural materials in my sample. At first I thought of adding flowers, but then I found some grass that I could use. I then wrapped some of the yarn that I wanted to use around a piece of card. I did not want to use all sorts of different techniques in this sample, because I did not want to take away the sense of tranquility that I felt looking at the pictures that I had chosen for my storyboard. I therefor chose to use plain weaving and the Soumak technique for some extra texture.
After that I made a rough sketch of how I wanted my sample to look.
I started by weaving a couple of rows of brown yarn. I then mixed some green wool and brown ribbon and uses the Soumak technique.
I really wanted to incorporate some natural materials in my sample. I found some grass, which adds some texture. I am really pleased with the result.
Below are another two close-ups of my sample. I decided that I wanted to add some beads to give the impression of flowers.
Below is a picture of the completed sample. I am pleased with the result. I tried to incorporate the yellow flowers in the grass which are in the pictures on my storyboard. I also wanted to incorporate the blanket of fields which I have seen in my recent trip to Koblenz. I think I succeeded in doing that.