I had some trouble with this technique in the beginning. I had trouble creating shapes that I liked. I think the problem was that I kept pulling too hard on the weft. So I had to start over again a couple of times.
I started with a couple of rows of purple yarn. I then started building up shapes with yarn and hemp string. I accidentally created opening between the shapes, but I actually really like it.
Another close-up of my sample. I also used strips of a cut up plastic bag to create some different textures.
Because I really like the openings that I had created at the beginning of the sample, I decided to leave a few more openings, but this time on purpose.
I ended with a couple of rows of pink and blue yarn.
Below is a picture of the full sample.
Even though a had some with this sample in the beginning, I am quite pleased with the end result. I like the movement in the sample.