Reflection after Project 5 Painting and printing

I think I made a pretty good selection from my drawings. Even though not every design worked well on fabric, for example the abstract drawing using which I made using acrylic paint and sand, but making mistakes and finding out that some things do not translate well onto another surface, is the only way to learn new things. The interpretations that worked best are the birds and the interpretation based upon my take on Pointillism. The sample that I am the most proud of that I made in Stage 3 is the one using inks on silk. Simply because I did not know how it would turn out and I had to let go my fears of something going wrong. It gave my a confidence boost when I saw that it turned out really well. I also like how the negative space in the middle turned out.

I used different textile surfaces. I used organza, felt, silk, linen, cotton, velvet and curtain fabric. I chose the organza because I like its sheer quality and I was really keen to find out what would happen if I started painting on it. I really liked the result. I was worried that the organza would be too thin to paint, but I worked really well. It just took a long time to dry. Another fabric that I really liked was the silk. I love how smooth it is. I was surprised how easy it was to paint on velvet and how quickly it dried. My least favourite fabric was the felt. It was really stiff and rough and difficult to paint on. The paint would not really stick onto the felt so I had to use several coats of paint. But even though I did not really like it, it was a good experience. It tried a new thing and it is all right that it did not really work.

I tried using my designs on different textile surface and on larger and smaller scales because I wanted to discover which designs and surfaces worked best. I also used textiles in different sizes. I used the same bird on three different surfaces and in different sizes. I think that it works best on the velvet because of the contrast between the dark fabric and the light paint. I also only one bird. In the other two samples, the birds are a little too close together and it is too crowded. The leaves that I made worked better in my sketchbook than on textile. Probably because painting on felt did not really work and because the leaf is too big in the other sample. Another sample that I did really like was the one were I used masking tape and paintsticks. I think it works really well because there is enough space between the different shapes because of the masking tape and the design looks really balanced. I coloured the negative spaces instead of the positive spaces in the original design.

I really love my larger sample. I ended up making a new design bases upon a sketch in my sketchbook instead of using an idea from a previous sample. I think I succeeded in creating the illusion that the sample is a piece of an even larger sample and I am proud of that.

I have learned so much during part two of this course. I have learned a lot about colours and I became more aware of how colours relate to each other. I have made and used stencils for the first time. The most important thing that I learned is that is okay if experiments turn out well and that I sometimes have to be a little less worried about doing everything perfectly. I learned in stage 1 ‘Introduction and preparation’ that ‘chaos’ sometimes looks better than ‘order’.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s