I decided to make a sample using a repeating pattern. I quickly decided that I wanted make which consisted of a flower, because I love drawing (imaginary) flowers. Once I started thinking about a design my mind wandered off to seventies wallpaper. I am not a fan of the colours (especially orange and brown) but I do like the bold patterns. I started sketching and I made a lot of sketches of the same design, because I wanted to make my design symmetrical. In the end, it started to feel like I was trying to solve a mathematical equation, so I decided to test my original design to see what it would like like.
This is the first test on paper using a Ranger paint dabber. I used a paint dabber because it is easier to regulate the flow of paint. I really liked the result, so I decided to use this design to print a larger piece of fabric.
I glued the design on a piece of cart and stenciled it on the fabric that I wanted to use. I was not too happy. The design was really unclear and seemed to consist of some random smudges. I altered my design a little bit and tested it again. That looked a lot better, so I decided to start stenciling my larger piece of fabric.
This is the result:
I am really pleased with the end result. I really looks like it is part of a larger sample and I love the look of the flower in the diamond. I ended up using a stenciling brush instead of the paint dabber because the paint dabber was not flexible enough and the paint stuck onto the stencil instead of on the paper.